The 11 kindest acts in golf

Golf is at its core an individual—one might even say selfish—pursuit. We value civility among partners and competitors, but is there anything obligating us to be nice? Maybe not by the strictest definition of the rules, and from Hogan to Woods, golfers have found a competitive advantage when they’ve cordoned themselves off from fellow players. Then again, golf can be cruel enough under the best of circumstances, and if you subscribe to the notion that the world these days needs more kindness, the golf course isn’t a bad place to…

Read More

Orange County honors Pine Hills’ Maurice Allen, who can drive a golf ball the length of 4 football fields

Muscular Pine Hills golfer Maurice Allen, who on his best day can drive a ball longer than almost anyone in the world, should have one of his better days Tuesday. He will be honored by Orange County commissioners with a resolution declaring Tuesday as “Maurice D. Allen Day” in Orange County. The recognition celebrates Allen’s big personality and prodigious driving prowess, which he demonstrated again in September, winning the Volvik World Long Drive Championship with a punishing blast that flew 393 yards — nearly the length of four football fields.…

Read More

Is Chicago’s Mistwood Golf Dome Setting A New Benchmark?

Musty odor is typically the first thing you notice, as you enter the revolving door of an indoor golf dome. Followed quickly by noise. But you get neither at Mistwood Golf Dome in Bolingbrook, Ill. In fact, the experience is like no other in America, as of this past week. Mistwood Golf Dome is teched out.Mistwood Golf Dome The dome has just reopened completely spruced up, and armed with Toptracer — a technology that virtually eliminates the walls of this 60,000-square-foot facility near Chicago. It features two decks, 30 hitting…

Read More

Wynn Golf Club In Las Vegas To Re-Open In 2019 After Being Closed For Development

The Wynn Golf Club in Las Vegas has escaped the chopping block. The high-end course, which had playing fees of up to $500, will re-open next year after its closure cost Wynn Resorts 16,000 rounds and between $10 million and $15 million of domestic casino business. The Wynn Golf Club in Las Vegas will re-open in 2019 after being closed for developmentWynn Resorts The Wynn Golf Club is undoubtedly an outlier in the golf world, catering to a wealthy customer base with one of the priciest greens fees in the…

Read More

How much prize money each golfer earned at the 2018 Mayakoba Golf Classic

Take a four-stroke or higher lead into the final round of a PGA Tour event since 2013, and you’ve got a better than 82 percent chance of winning the event. That sounds all well and good unless you’re part of the 18 percent who blew it, a list that Matt Kuchar was surely trying to avoid on Sunday at the Mayakoba Golf Classic. But Kooch had plenty of other pressure on him while playing in Mexico. The 40-year-old had not won since April 2014, posting 34 top-10 finishes since that…

Read More

Braden Thornberry heads to final stage as amateur, pro golf may follow

BROOKSVILLE, Fla. – Braden Thornberry plans to play the final stage of Web.com Tour Q-School as an amateur. Whether or not he’s still an amateur after that remains to be seen. Thornberry tied for 14th Friday at Southern Hills Plantation Club, where he shot 14 under in 72 holes. He was among 18 players out of that second-stage site to move on to Q-School finals Dec. 6-9 at Whirlwind Golf Club in Chandler, Ariz. The Ole Miss senior, who won the 2017 NCAA individual title as a sophomore, told Golfweek…

Read More

The clubs Matt Kuchar used to win the Mayakoba Golf Classic

Matt Kuchar had to work for his eighth PGA Tour victory at the Mayakoba Golf Classic, when he needed to put the tournament away on the final hole, he did the one thing that he had done well all week—put the ball in the fairway off the tee on the 458-yard finishing hole. Kuchar got a nice bounce out of the right rough and left himself a mere 152 yards in on the finishing hole at El Camaleon Golf Club just south of Cancun, Mexico, from which he was able…

Read More

Women’s Senior Golf Association needs to get creative to flourish

LPGA commissioner Mike Whan’s mantra, “Act like a founder,” helped revitalize a tour in tumult. Channeling the grit, the passion, the creativity of the 13 women who founded the organization in 1950 helped inspire both the staff and membership to turn things around. The Women’s Senior Golf Association, also known as the Legends Tour, finds itself in a founder-like moment. Coming off a hugely successful inaugural U.S. Senior Women’s Open and the second installment of the Senior LPGA Championship at The Pete Dye Course at French Lick – both won…

Read More

Lee Westwood turns back the clock, wins the Nedbank Golf Challenge with closing 64

There was no getting away from the turn-back-the-clock feel to Lee Westwood’s performance at the Nedbank Golf Challenge. Facts are facts, and the Englishman with the dry-wit and the gray stubble had not been victorious on the European Tour since April 2014, or anywhere for that matter since April 2015. The former World No. 1 had contended a time or three in the meanwhile, but at 45, now ranked 119th in the world and having seen his status in the game fall from name brand to also ran, most observers—including…

Read More