IndyCar race at Pocono Raceway stopped after major accident

Robert Wickens went soaring into the fence at Pocono Raceway in a scary wreck that brought Sunday’s IndyCar race to a halt. The Canadian driver was attempting to pass Ryan Hunter-Reay when the two cars slightly touched. That caused Hunter-Reay’s car to careen into the wall, and Wickens’ car was pulled along for the ride. Wickens launched over Hunter-Reay’s car and sailed into the catchfence, where the tub of his IndyCar spun several times before crashing back onto the track. Medical workers attended to Wickens, who was taken to an…

Read More

Jenson Button says Fernando Alonso will return to F1 in right scenario

Jenson Button is certain former McLaren teammate Fernando Alonso would return to Formula One in the right scenario. Earlier this week, Alonso announced he will be stepping away from F1 at the end of 2018. His statement made it clear it is not a full retirement from the series, saying it would be “the right moment” to return if and when McLaren was competitive again in the near future. In the statement released on Tuesday the Spaniard said that if McLaren was able to recover from its current situation it…

Read More

Robert Hight tops NHRA Funny Car qualifying at Brainerd International

BRAINERD, Minn. — Robert Hight raced to his second No. 1 qualifying position of the season and the 59th overall Saturday in the Lucas Oil NHRA Nationals at Brainerd International Raceway. Hight had a 3.959-second run at 324.67 mph in the third Funny Car qualifying session. The Chevrolet driver is the defending Funny Car season champion. “I’m pretty jazzed,” Hight said. “This is the time of the year you better have your act together, and it is starting to come together for us. We were number one here last year…

Read More

Will Power starts bid for 3rd straight Pocono victory from pole

LONG POND, Pa. — Will Power will begin his bid for a third straight win at Pocono Raceway from the pole. Power turned a lap of 219.511 mph on Saturday to take the top spot and perhaps bolster his bid for a championship with four races left in the IndyCar season. Power won his 53rd pole and tied AJ Foyt for second on the career list. Power and Josef Newgarden made it a 1-2 start for team owner Roger Penske. “One, two for Team Penske. You can’t be mad about…

Read More

Jean-Eric Vergne contacted over 2019 Formula One seat

Newly-crowned Formula E champion and former Toro Rosso driver Jean-Eric Vergne says he has been contacted by an F1 team over a 2019 race seat. Former Red Bull junior Vergne, who drove for the outfit’s junior team between 2012 and 2014, has not been on the grid since he was dropped at the end of that spell. He has found success away from F1, winning FE with Techeetah this year and claiming provisional victory in the LMP2 class at the Le Mans 24 Hours, only to see the win stripped…

Read More

Antron Brown leads NHRA Top Fuel qualifying at Brainerd International

BRAINERD, Minn. — Antron Brown led Top Fuel qualifying Friday in the Lucas Oil NHRA Nationals at Brainerd International Raceway. Coming off his first victory of the season two weeks ago outside Seattle, Brown had a 3.789-second run at 325.45 mph. He has 49 career No. 1 qualifiers. “We have been working hard for this,” Brown said. “It is no secret, we have been through our bumps and bruises, but the thing about it is that is why you go through the struggles so you have days like this and…

Read More

A lap with 2019 McLaren hopeful Lando Norris

The idea was simple: A chance to interview McLaren’s up-and-coming junior driver as he completed a lap of the Hockenheim grand prix circuit. Lando Norris would throw a McLaren 570s through the corners and it would be my job to throw questions at him. Needless to say, Norris held up his side of the bargain better than I did and, the moment the car broke traction on the exit of Turn 2, my composure went with it. Thankfully, I also had some time booked with Norris in the calmer atmosphere…

Read More

Fernando Alonso says ‘very poor’ F1 spectacle prompted decision to quit

Fernando Alonso says his decision to quit Formula One at the end of the current season has nothing to do with McLaren’s failure to give him a competitive car since 2015. Fernando Alonso’s comments to the media are increasingly difficult to take seriously… Nate Saunders delves deeper into the words behind the fascinating Spaniard. McLaren has confirmed Carlos Sainz as one of its drivers for 2019, replacing Fernando Alonso at the team. 1 Related Earlier this week Alonso announced he will not be on the F1 grid in 2019, although…

Read More

McLaren confirms Carlos Sainz as Fernando Alonso’s replacement

McLaren has confirmed Carlos Sainz as one of its drivers for 2019, replacing Fernando Alonso at the team. As reported on Wednesday, ESPN understands Sainz has signed a two-year deal with the team, which will see him swap from Renault to McLaren ahead of the 2019 season. Alonso announced he would leave F1 at the end of the year on Tuesday, vacating the seat at McLaren for Sainz. Sainz has been under contract with Red Bull since his F1 debut — and is currently on loan to Renault — but…

Read More

Jacques Villeneuve – Ferrari should keep Kimi Raikkonen

Former F1 world champion Jacques Villeneuve believes Ferrari should offer Kimi Raikkonen a new contract for 2019 instead of promoting Sauber driver Charles Leclerc alongside Sebastian Vettel. McLaren will announce Carlos Sainz as Fernando Alonso’s replacement later this week, ESPN understands, opening the door for Pierre Gasly to step up to Red Bull next year. Ferrari has yet to confirm its driver line-up for 2019, although reports earlier this year claimed a deal was done for Leclerc to replace Raikkonen. Vettel has a contract at the team until the end…

Read More